Head tracking alternative

This forum provides an area for Drunken, lost or just generally confused subjects.
No talk about PC games.
Rules still apply though.
kneecapper

Head tracking alternative

Post by kneecapper »

Hi chaps here is a link to a nice piece of kit .
https://edtracker.org.uk/

a couple of my mate use it for Elite dangerous and il2 battle of stalingrad it works perfect so they tell me.
BabylonCome

Re: Head tracking alternative

Post by BabylonCome »

Also see these posts:

http://www.rustyinplaces.org/forum/view ... 86&t=23268

http://www.rustyinplaces.org/forum/view ... 86&t=23806

Most think they work until they try the real thing TrackIR - which is still the utter best and worth every penny..
AntwanChi

Post by AntwanChi »

Not really sure how you can say that; have you tried ED Tracker? It's awesome and you can use it in Opentrack, which gives you finer control. It also doesn't rely on line of sight.
BabylonCome

Post by BabylonCome »

Just ask Rock, he's tried both and said there is no comparison. His review said track ir is far superior. His words..
AntwanChi

Post by AntwanChi »

Don't like to be a fanboy or anything, and TrackIR is awesome and well loved. However:

I think that Babs is confusing EDTracker with FaceTrackNOIR. The two are totally different.

1. EDTracker is taped on top of my headphones, which means that it's not annoyingly in the corner of my vision
2. EDTracker is more solidly built; it's a box with the weak point being the USB connection, which has given me no problems after a year of use.
3. EDTracker needs a bit more setting up in Opentrack. The Accela filter needs to be set up correctly, and my tracking is definitely on-par with TrackIR.
4. I love the fact that some gamers just got together and built the thing, citing that TrackIR had its limitations.
5. EDTracker costs £42 including postage. Not sure I can justify spending up to £200 to make the screen move in time with my head...
6. TrackIR has greater system load as it relies on a camera, fps etc.

I think that this has been summarised well elsewhere, but TrackIR is best for a plug in and go solution, but don't write off EDTracker, as it's much cheaper any every bit as good.

Source of opinion: Tried TrackIR, EDTracker, TrackHat (just don't), Delan Clip (the same as TrackIR, but uses a superior camera in the PS3EyeCam 120fps). Spent three months on FaceTrackIR, which is a very cheap solution for those unsure whether tracking will add anything to their gaming. It's a bit shit.

I can throw over some profiles if anybody is interested.

:-)
swingline43

Post by swingline43 »

Track IR!!! There is "no" substitute.
wintski
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by wintski »

Just ordered the edtracker pro.....
kneecapper

Post by kneecapper »

sweet. :clap:
wintski
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by wintski »

Got it (EdTracker)

Easy to set-up out of the box (calibrate etc)

Opentrack (Software) was a little confusing but got it in the end... may need to tweak as I go.

Got it working in Arma using ^ of which took a minute or two but the result is free look..

Th only issue is getting used to it and I need a longer cable for my OCD on neatness.

All in, its pukka... got alot to learn but thats what makes PC gaming what it is T&E!

I flew a jet in A3 and what a difference my hands need not leave my flight stick at all :clap:

10/10 reccomended to those that do not want/cant afford/cant justify buying TrackIR.
Cyborg
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by Cyborg »

got my ED Tracker Pro coming in a few days..
wintski
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by wintski »

nice, squad should have trackIR support eventually too so if it allows for trackir it will work with edtracker as ong as you use the opentrack software.
Maverickos

Post by Maverickos »

I hope that squad is gonna support it. Right now my TrackIR sits in my drawer.
BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon »

how do u see the keyboard in OR?
BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon »

without it, i look down and press whatever i need to press, especially in arma.
with it?im unsure
wintski
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by wintski »

I want it, I dont look at the KB much, its all memory is it not?
BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon »

maybe u'll start using my voice attack admin tool, because im sure i will NOT type in any commands with that thing on,lol
Whall-e

Post by Whall-e »

Obviously the real winner is to forget track IR, And get yourself someones sloppy seconds on an oculus rift DK2 (or preorder the new one) Sure it can take some serious dicking about to get working with ARMA (Vorpx, open track, serious amounts of patience) but the results are something very special, and blew my experience with track IR out of the water. Just not for those with weak stomachs, I was almost sick the first time i was in a chopper crash...

P.S Be prepared to be punched in the bollocks by your room mates when you are blinded many many times
welshterrorist
Captain
Captain

Post by welshterrorist »

As you may or may not know my track pro clip is caput, it has faulty wiring I've repaired it a few times using connector blocks and tape , but all it takes is a little yank and the connection is lost and I have to re do the join, I found this just now anyone seen or heard any thing about it? NO FRICKIN WIRES ! ! ! I'm tempted £16.80

http://swcproducts.com/listing/wireless ... -pro-clip/

Or I just buy a replacement clip pro and stay tethered £42.95
https://www.flightstore.co.uk/dvds-sims ... -pro-p2504

Also just found this it says its compatible with trackIr http://www.trackhat.org/trackhat-clip-plus

YouTube video for trackhat wireless also
Last edited by welshterrorist on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.Bole

Post by .Bole »

Can edtracker be delievered somehow to Montenegro,do they deliever this?
So it better to buy it then to spend that much money on trackir ?
welshterrorist
Captain
Captain

Post by welshterrorist »

not sure Bole about shipping here's another video review on the track hat clip this kit is £57 for a camera a clip pro and a bunch of cables and a camera mounting clip this has gotta be a winner at that price