New B20 map rotation suggestions

Dackis

New B20 map rotation suggestions

Post by Dackis »

With the release of B20 and the addition of a whole bunch of new layers to the game I thought I'd go over the map rotation list to see if there's any room for improvement. Overall I think the rotation strikes a pretty good balance between maps and game modes. That said I do have some map specific suggestions (specific layers to be added) as well as some general suggestions. With a whooping 204 different layers to choose from and 100 maps in rotation, I found a few new or unused layers we could add into the mix to keep things fresh and varied. These are my personal opinions of course, which you may or may not agree with. Full disclosure: I mostly favor big and open maps with a lot of room for combined arms action and space for vehicles to move around.

I gathered all layer specific suggestions into this spreadsheet (scroll right), below the spreadsheet are my general suggestions.

Maps I'd like to see slightly more of in rotation:
  • Gorodok and Yehorivka
    I consider these to be two of the best Squad maps (they are top-rated by the community as well). Both maps are easily traversable, cater to pretty much all gameplay styles, with a good balance between open areas suitable for vehicles and a balanced distribution of cover/foliage and urban areas that cater to infantry players.
  • Skorpo
    Skorpo is featured very rarely in the rotation right now. I think it's a quite unique and interesting map, set in the Norwegian mountains. They've updated it for B20 by adding helicopters to most layers so that should make it easier to traverse the steep slopes as well. Rated quite high in the latest community survey.
  • Belaya
    Certainly not the best map in the game but I think it's decent enough. Features very rarely in the rotation. Updated in B20 with helicopters and four new layers. Might be worth taking for another spin this time around?
Maps I'd like to see slightly less of in rotation:
  • Small-scale infantry-centric maps like Logar Valley, Sumari, Kokan, Chora
    I find these types of small maps get stale pretty quickly, as they're quite limited gameplaywise. The small scale means there's not much room to maneuver and flank around the enemy so you're pretty much forced in to direct head on engagements all the time, deathmatch style. If I'm looking for this kind of infantry only action I have a much better time playing Modern Warfare or Insurgency, which excel on this scale of gameplay. Most of these maps are also rated consistently pretty poorly by the community in the latest Squad survey I could find (https://joinsquad.com/2019/09/21/alpha- ... ey-review/).
Bear in mind I'm completely new here so I know nothing of the logic and reasoning behind server rotation choices in the past. Don't know who has the final say in map rotation either. These are just my opinions, do what you want with these suggestions. :)
Last edited by Dackis on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Re: New B20 map rotation suggestions

Post by BearBison »

Your details are slightly incorrect in the number of maps/layers, see https://www.rustyinplaces.org/forums/214/25011 for the official maplist.
Dackis

Post by Dackis »

BearBison wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:52 pm Your details are slightly incorrect in the number of maps/layers, see https://www.rustyinplaces.org/forums/214/25011 for the official maplist.
I can't access that forum. Got the map list from https://squad.gamepedia.com/Server_Conf ... tation.cfg What did I miss? (except removing Jensen's Range)
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

Not sure but without Jensens there is 205 layers, Al basrah only has 10 layers and Belaya only has 10 layers which is what drew me to the fact it was wrong.

Guessing since that's the servers and admin forum you can't see that until your a full member.
Dackis

Post by Dackis »

BearBison wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:22 pm Not sure but without Jensens there is 205 layers, Al basrah only has 10 layers and Belaya only has 10 layers which is what drew me to the fact it was wrong.
Al Basrah has one CAF layer as well and Belaya has three CAF layers. :) They're listed separately in the official map list. CAF also has one Jensen's layer so 204 total, according to my best estimates. :geek:
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

Dackis wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:33 pm Al Basrah has one CAF layer as well and Belaya has three CAF layers. :) They're listed separately in the official map list. CAF also has one Jensen's layer so 204 total, according to my best estimates. :geek:

Could be I'm wrong as never look at the CAF layers :D

But the total layers is 208, so if a Jensens there that makes 4 then that would work out.