Elite Dangerous

This forum is to discuss any other games that don't have a separate forum
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Elite Dangerous

Post by Wilhem »

Right now game is on 80% Discount.
As I see interest on discord last few days I wanna inform everyone that some of us did start playing together.
As I have 400ish hours in game I am willing to invest time to teach ppl get into in game.
This game has lots to learn and lots of players just give up because of that.

If you wanna play with us ping me on Discord and we can help you out.

:handgestures-salute:
★PL Gunner's Gladiators★SRO★
CalgonUK

Re: Elite Dangerous

Post by CalgonUK »

i have it bought and downloaded but haven't played it on PC yet, had a good 100hrs on it on the PS4. Just been trying to find the right time to play it in between ACC & Squad, is a joystik/hotas setup worth playing with?
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Yes. Mouse and keyboard are more precise for aim if you think about playing with foxed weapons. But for gimballed ones does nor rly matter. But best feeling and turnimg precision you will get with hotas. And immersion is best with hotas. Some ppl did practice enough to be good with fixed weapons and hotas. Than you have blast. I did not bother with that and just use gimballs
CalgonUK

Post by CalgonUK »

I always took the easy route with doing cargo shipments, so never really understood how to get into dog fighting, even though having the weaponry to destroy a mid size cruiser :lol: id use homing missiles like a cannon and hope they hit like a right idiot lol.
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

CalgonUK wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:01 pm I always took the easy route with doing cargo shipments, so never really understood how to get into dog fighting, even though having the weaponry to destroy a mid size cruiser :lol: id use homing missiles like a cannon and hope they hit like a right idiot lol.
All i did in this game is combat hehe
Evilzeon
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Evilzeon »

Wish I could join, I've got over 300+ hours on the Xbox One with Elite Dangerous.

May have to invest in the PC version and start from fresh!

I'll give you a shout Wilhem if I decide to move over :handgestures-salute:
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Sure. I am in great faction that can help. I am sure you know how to get started.
kurgen
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kurgen »

i stopped playing when other players had shitty ships that had been engineered to the max and would smash my cutter to pieces in seconds . still have it installed and updated though, but havnt run it since december 2019
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

They are not shitty if they destroy cutter 😂
muzzow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by muzzow »

We have a fair few of us playing this together please add you name to the list so we can all play together!

Elite Dangerous Player list :

-Cobb
-Muzzow
-Parky
-Jackal
-zodika
Last edited by muzzow on Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackal
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2

Post by Jackal »

Heyo, I also play Elite Dangerous although I tend to run AFK a lot. Whenever I get to sink a couple hours into it in one go I'll jump onto TeamSpeak. I also have Horizons.
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

I have good PMF. Me and Reaper1992 are in it. If you guys wanna join us playing.
Mr.Nixon

Post by Mr.Nixon »

Hey mate send me a PM also up for some elite as well especially after Odyssey hits
CalgonUK

Post by CalgonUK »

I think its time for me to jump back into the space of ED. its going to be a long old road....... HELP
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

CalgonUK wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:56 pm I think its time for me to jump back into the space of ED. its going to be a long old road....... HELP
Send me dm on discord
falcon.3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by falcon.3 »

It's free on Epic Games and I am looking to step into this madness, since I ddon't want to end up in the wrong place far away from RIP members, would anyone care to give me an introduction?
Hunchback

Post by Hunchback »

I preordered the original ED and even bought HOTAS for it, but after playing it for a bit and they ended up announcing Horizons as a payed expansion i bounced off.
I learned it's free now on Epic and they've actually thrown Horizons for free since last month, i believe. So i decided to give it another spin, try out the planetary things etc. However i am really unsure about all this. Is it still worth playing? Are there more things to do other than grind cash ?

Is there a RIP player group or anything that i could join?
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

They did give Horizons for free as they will release new dlc at start of next year (or december). As for grind money i do not bother about that. You can earn credits easy thsese days in ED Í do mostly combat. As for grind there is multiple grinds in game hehe. I am sure they will introduce new one with new dlc. just to keep ppl in game. i don't mind that as long as i can do combat :D and they are about to rebalance combat so we earn more credits from it.

As for RIP members Parky and Cobb did make faction but i don't think anyone plays there anymore. I am part of large faction (400ish players) nothing in mandatory and they take care of 50 systems and have task list if others wanna help expand and keep systems. Atm 4 more RIP members are in same faction. If you wanna join us hit me up on discord and ill set you up
Hunchback

Post by Hunchback »

Factions = clans, i presume?
How does it all work with the criminal system, different factions etc ?
Also, to what extent does "take care of systems" actually means doing anything, compared to say EVE online (if you have experience with it) ?

Finally, i'll copy/pasta my post from reddit here:
Hey all,

A (possible) returning player here, with a few questions.

First, some background - i preordered the original game back when it was available in early access for some people and i bought HOTAS (cheap Thrustmaster) to play it with to boot. I am not a huge sim/flight player, it was more of a whim thing. I am a big SciFi and science fan and longtime EVE player (not anymore tho). At first, on release, i really enjoyed ED, the flight mechanics and visuals really are awesome. However, quite rapidly i kinda got bored because there was very low player interaction, the missions were very generic and bland and... there was nothing much to do other than grind more money to buy the next, bigger, ship. That's what it felt like to me, not saying it IS that way for everyone. Then a bit later they announced Horizons, which promised interesting ideas and features but behind a paywall that i honestly didn't feel like paying. I hate DLCs and "Season Passes" and shit like that in games, i think it's unfair and lazy way to make games but that's a different subject. Anyway, i then generally abandoned the game.

Jump to today (well, yesterday), i heard ED became free on Epic, which spiked my interest once again. After some digging i found out that Horizons was actually made free as well. Interest level increasing! Back to ObsidianAnt videos and figuring out how to land on a planet...

However, before i continue i have a few questions for the community here, which is probably far from ALL the players but should represent a general hardcore... core of the players. I'd appreciate honest answers and no fanboism ;) :

Is the game still "alive" ? In terms of a multiplayer game, i mean. Obviously you can play it as a SP game entirely, but honestly (not to bash) there are way better options for that, like the X series. Are there actual players you can meet, do things together with, participate in some organised play or combat or anything?

Is the content in Horizons still "playable". What i mean is that it seems every DLC is kind of advancing the whole world and story, not simply adding more ships/parts. Are there things to do in Horizons that actually matter and people do or everyone's moved on?

Would you say that playing the game with HOTAS is genuinely easier/better than KBD/Mouse, other than the whole immersion aspect of it? It took me a long time to get used to a joystick but eventually i kinda got the hang of it. However it was extremely annoying that on top of ALL the buttons on the hotas the game required like a hundred more on the KBD AND use of the mouse to fully operate. I have limited desk space so having everything installed and usable was hell. Yesterday I tried playing it entirely with KBD/Mouse but found it surprisingly unresponsive and weird (Unlike X4, which plays way better with KBD imo). So i am really unsure about that.

Thanks for the replies in advance. Keep it civil :)
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Hunchback wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 am Factions = clans, i presume?
How does it all work with the criminal system, different factions etc ?
Also, to what extent does "take care of systems" actually means doing anything, compared to say EVE online (if you have experience with it) ?

Finally, i'll copy/pasta my post from reddit here:
Factions (player made faction full name: PMF) is in game minor faction (you have big powers and players make minor faction) are clan like organisations that conquer systems in name of superfactions. I did not play EVE. taking care of systems means doing stuff in speciffic systems to keep influence up, fighting in conflict zones to win war, doing missions to win elections, Killing npcs and players to invade systems. As for criminal system and other factions you generaly don't invade systems that are ruled by other players unless they are in your way of progress or they try to invade our. We are part of bigger PMF alliance that is taking care of most federal systems.

Answers: even if you play solo you are still playing mp. only thing you will not find there are player ships.
As for playing with other players

Content of horizons is end game stuf. as to unlock engineers you need to have horizons. Do various tasks and gather materials to engineer (fine tune and boost) your ships. That said you can pick planetary missions and/or land on any planet and explore them whenever you want. Even with new dlc when they release it i think engineers will be used as they make any ship awesome. example: from 20ly jump range you can get to 60 ly if ship is tuned. or turn speed or power of guns and such. Only reason that is free is because new dlc is about to be released and they did not want to split community in 3 groups.

For mouse and kbd and hotas i would say it is user thing. i like my hotas. if you put 2 modifier keys (like ctrl + c, ctrl is modifier) you can fit all to hotas. takes time to train brain to use them all but once you do it it is awesome. You can also use on tablet (if you have one) gamerglass which is free for ED combat and general stuff, and touchportal as 8 aditional keys on phone (also bit more immersion). I have cheapest one you can get (Thruster t flight x and i can fit all keys on it)