Looking to get a new stationary PC.

This forum provides an area for Drunken, lost or just generally confused subjects.
No talk about PC games.
Rules still apply though.
SirT83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Looking to get a new stationary PC.

Post by SirT83 »

Hey folks.
Im the new guy, or one of them anyway. :D

Im looking to get me a new stationary PC. However, im no tech dude, so i have a few questions about it before i go and spend some of my money. I think it comes down to 3 different questions.

1: Whats the difference in I5 or I7 processors, do i need the 7 cores to mainly play games on the computer, im no streamer either. I understand that i7's are newer and hence supposedly better, but read an article on this and what i got out of it was that it may not be worth my money. Now, i dont trust anything i read on the net, so i decided to come in here to ask the gen pop.

2: All these GPU's confuses me, with the RTX 1660, RTX 1660 Super, RTX 2060 etc..
How does a 1660 super do up against a 2060? And if i decide to go for the cheaper one at the moment , lets say 1660 super, is it easy to change on a later occation or am i doomed with the one i go for?

3:
I do think this is a given, but im going to ask anyway. 16GB RAM is necessary right?

Since this is not about a video game, i decided this was the right place for the thread. Feel free to move it to correct space if needed.
Meizner

Re: Looking to get a new stationary PC.

Post by Meizner »

Hi SirT83, and welcome!

Important question, are you building your own or buying a prebuilt?

1:
The difference is mainly core and thread count. More cores and threads means more multitasking, which in some cases can make programs run faster and more smooth.

An i5 is great for gaming, since games haven't become that good at utilizing multiple cores yet, but we may in the future see games become better at this, which makes the i7 more future proof.

If you have a limited budget you'll probably get along fine with an i5, while a i7 would future proof your system somewhat. An i7 is usually also faster right out of the gate, which gives you some more frames in games, but nothing too serious.

If I were you I would look into the new AMD 5000 series cpus as they outmatch intel in nearly every way. Although they are pretty hard to get.

Beware that Intel and AMD use different chipsets, which means that AMD won't fit Intel motherboards and vice versa.

2:
Use this link to see the various rankings
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gp ... ,4388.html

If you are mainly using your computer for gaming, I would suggest using the most of your money here. This is what dictates how great your gaming experience will be, frames and graphics.

3:
I would say that 16GB is the absolutely minimum for a computer these days, for further future proofing you could go with 32GB.

4:
Make sure to get a screen with 1ms response time and atleast 144 hz, if you decide on a graphics card below the Nvidia 2070 Super,I would suggest a 1920x1080 resolution.

If any of my advice is bogus, please don't be afraid to correct me :-)
Plan B

Post by Plan B »

Fantastic reply by Meizner already actually, not said less than I would have ^^

However, I do wanna mention that games have become very good at utilizing multiple cores, until a certain threshold. A 16 core CPU today will be pretty much fully utilized by most modern games.

Also as mentioned, I'd recommend AMD (Ryzen) instead of intel for now. The Ryzen 5 3600 being a fantastic middle range option and the Ryzen 5 5600x being a brilliant top tier option.
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

Ditto what Meizner and B said.

As someone who has used both Intel and AMD I would still very much prefer AMD because of the bang for buck that you get since most AMD Ryzen processors are better than their Intel counter part on pretty much everything.

Besides, Ryzen uses the same socket on the motherboard through out their series meaning if ever wanna upgrade in the future you (probably) won't need to change motherboards. Especially if you go for a newer chipset that is out right now.

Meizner wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:17 pm 2:

If you are mainly using your computer for gaming, I would suggest using the most of your money here. This is what dictates how great your gaming experience will be, frames and graphics.

3:
I would say that 16GB is the absolutely minimum for a computer these days, for further future proofing you could go with 32GB.

4:
Make sure to get a screen with 1ms response time and atleast 144 hz, if you decide on a graphics card below the Nvidia 2070 Super,I would suggest a 1920x1080 resolution.
I wouldnt very much sasy 144hz is a must since that is something you do when you wanna get more out of your system however its very good to start off with. But you would be very fine on say 60-75hz screens, as long as you get 1080p and the 1ms.

And what I wanna add in regards to the RAM, if you get AMD I'd get atleast 3200Mhz speed if intel atleast 3000Mhz (AMD is more speed hungry)
SirT83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SirT83 »

Im not building the thing myself. I got 10 thumbs and no interest in trying to learn it. :/

so whats better, 2060 Super or 3060?

So a Ryzen 5/i5 is good enough, and Ryzen 7 and I7 is for the future got it.
From the looks of it I5 is actually cheaper at the moment in Norway. I5 and R5 with RTX 3070 cost around 1300$ (I5) and 1600$ (R5). Am i then missing something, is it not possible for Intel to be cheaper?

Ive allready bought myself a new monitor yesterday. It has 144hz, 1ms and runs 1920x1080.
kurgen
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kurgen »

Not building the PC yourself at the moment is probably the only way you can get a GPU anyway... I believe system builders have quantities kept back for full pc builds. 3060 def ok for 1080p
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

SirT83 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:07 pm Im not building the thing myself. I got 10 thumbs and no interest in trying to learn it. :/

so whats better, 2060 Super or 3060?

So a Ryzen 5/i5 is good enough, and Ryzen 7 and I7 is for the future got it.
From the looks of it I5 is actually cheaper at the moment in Norway. I5 and R5 with RTX 3070 cost around 1300$ (I5) and 1600$ (R5). Am i then missing something, is it not possible for Intel to be cheaper?

Ive allready bought myself a new monitor yesterday. It has 144hz, 1ms and runs 1920x1080.

I'd go with a 30-series but if you do go for 20-series I'd go with like 2070 or 2070 super if it's an option, that way you're done for a few years and I would recommend a Ryzen 7 though, not necessarily the 5000 series. It's not exactly like an i7 but it its a bit more powerful. The price of either all depends on what generation they are. Because sure I can get an i5 for like 200 bucks but also for like 450, same goes for Ryzen 5.

It's all about the budget and thinking about the future.
Hollenfeuer

Post by Hollenfeuer »

You shouldn't be put off by building your own, it's dead easy and you can have more control over the whole spec, rather than settle for a cheaper internals pre-build.

Plenty of youtube tutorials (Just not The Verge) and enough really helpful guys here to help all the way through to OS boot-up. ;-)
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

Hollenfeuer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:58 pm You shouldn't be put off by building your own, it's dead easy and you can have more control over the whole spec, rather than settle for a cheaper internals pre-build.

Plenty of youtube tutorials (Just not The Verge) and enough really helpful guys here to help all the way through to OS boot-up. ;-)
Prebuilts, made by companies that make gaming prebuilts and not like commercial stores like MediaMarkt or whatever you have in your country have actually been doing way better from what I have seen. Ofcourse you do overpay a little bit because of the service and manual labor involved.
kurgen
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kurgen »

I get most of my stuff from overclockers uk, they have build options on their site. but you can email them a shopping basket and they will build for a fee. I'm on there forums more than here, and there are plenty of people asking and giving advice on PC builds. they also have tool that alows you to paste the shopping basket directly into the forum threads. Of course the big problem is, THERE ARE NO GPUS LEFT IN STOCK ON THIS PLANET AND THIS WILL BE THE CASE FOR MONTHS (with expection of prebuild). its so bad at the moment that Nvidia have rereleased the GTX1050ti
Plan B

Post by Plan B »

VoidProxy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:26 pm And what I wanna add in regards to the RAM, if you get AMD I'd get atleast 3200Mhz speed if intel atleast 3000Mhz (AMD is more speed hungry)
So is intel these days, modern CPUs utilize RAM much better
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

Plan B wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:05 pm So is intel these days, modern CPUs utilize RAM much better
Then I take that part back. atleast 3200Mhz in general!
SirT83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SirT83 »

kurgen wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:40 pm I get most of my stuff from overclockers uk, they have build options on their site. but you can email them a shopping basket and they will build for a fee. I'm on there forums more than here, and there are plenty of people asking and giving advice on PC builds. they also have tool that alows you to paste the shopping basket directly into the forum threads. Of course the big problem is, THERE ARE NO GPUS LEFT IN STOCK ON THIS PLANET AND THIS WILL BE THE CASE FOR MONTHS (with expection of prebuild). its so bad at the moment that Nvidia have rereleased the GTX1050ti
Is the prizes on prebuilds has gone up close to 25% over the last 3 months? I looked at the exact same computer three months ago and it was that much cheaper. So hold off my buy for a few months then?
kurgen
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kurgen »

SirT83 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:28 pm Is the prizes on prebuilds has gone up close to 25% over the last 3 months? I looked at the exact same computer three months ago and it was that much cheaper. So hold off my buy for a few months then?
I would hold of until a graphics cards become available. even second hand GPUs are going for stupid money. my RTX2060 super is going for £100 more than i bought it for. prices on ebay have gone through the roof for 2nd hand cards.. I sold my GTX 1050ti before covid gpu gate. for about £75, they are now rereleased at £200. Its the worst time ever too buy a PC from scratch. If you had a desktop PC already and could reuse old GPU then maybe, but it sounds like your coming from a laptop..
Meizner

Post by Meizner »

SirT83 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:07 pm Im not building the thing myself. I got 10 thumbs and no interest in trying to learn it. :/
I saw in your introduction post that you are from Norway, which means that you have access to Denmarks (My country) best prebuilt manufacturer, MM-vision. Actually I'm not entirely sure that they deliver to Norway, but you can find that out.

I would strongly suggest looking at these for prebuilts:
https://www.mm-vision.dk/visiongaming/c ... ion-gaming

Me and most of my friends have used MM-vision and we are all 100% satisfied.

After getting an idea of your budget I would suggest the following:
https://www.mm-vision.dk/visiongaming/R ... g-computer

If you should upgrade anything on that; upgrade the PSU to 750 Watt so you can run newer graphics cards in the future.

And I second the notion that building your own pc right now, is entirely impossible, without paying extortionate prices for hardware.
SirT83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SirT83 »

Thanks Meizner, I'll most certainly be having a look.
btodac - free banana

Post by btodac - free banana »

I'm not aware of many games utilizing multicore processors to a significant degree. Many games are still single threaded and if you are playing multiplayer online games then the processor is not likely to have any real impact, the graphics card does the heavy lifting for all the 3D and physics. I updated my rig last year and I have an AMD Ryzen, GTX 1660 and 16GB ram. Try to get high clock speed RAM, this can be a bottleneck and I would strongly recommend the M.2 ssd, but it might be worth getting a HD as well. For comparison, my old machine was over 10 years old with a quad core AMD 965 phenom II and it had no issues with any gaming despite its age (the graphics card and ram were upgraded over the years). I don't see the value of any modern processors for most uses (they are generally overkill), but if you are doing video editing, 3D renders, complex computational tasks etc then a good processor will help.
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

btodac - free banana wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:18 am I'm not aware of many games utilizing multicore processors to a significant degree.
This has changed a lot the last couple of years, even squad now takes advantage of multiple cores/threads lately, so getting a 6-8 core is very nice these days but a 4c8t will get by still if the clockspeeds are high enough but 4core processors tend to bottleneck recent graphics cards.
Plan B

Post by Plan B »

I was playing on an i5 4440 with an RX580 and was averaging about 40 FPS. Since I got my hands on a Ryzen 5 1600 I don't drop sub 60 on *most* maps / areas and generally much higher avg FPS, staying above 70 isn't an issue on some maps. You can also look at benchmarks and tell me a Ryzen 5600x isn't much better than a Ryzen 1600 or like an i5 6400k :p

Edit: also worth noting how much a modern CPU increases minimum FPS and removes stutters. Also sidenote but an m.2 doesn't do much for gaming compared to a normal SATA SSD, while also being a lot more expensive ^^
kurgen
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kurgen »

Plan B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:46 pm I was playing on an i5 4440 with an RX580 and was averaging about 40 FPS. Since I got my hands on a Ryzen 5 1600 I don't drop sub 60 on *most* maps / areas and generally much higher avg FPS, staying above 70 isn't an issue on some maps. You can also look at benchmarks and tell me a Ryzen 5600x isn't much better than a Ryzen 1600 or like an i5 6400k :p

Edit: also worth noting how much a modern CPU increases minimum FPS and removes stutters. Also sidenote but an m.2 doesn't do much for gaming compared to a normal SATA SSD, while also being a lot more expensive ^^
There is generally no difference now in pricing for M.2 NVME vs 2.5" SATA SSD

WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD £92.99

Crucial MX500 1 TB CT1000MX500SSD1(Z)-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD), Grey £89.99
Visit the Crucial Store

course depends if thinks £3 is a lot :D