Natural Selection 2

This forum is to discuss any other games that don't have a separate forum
Hunchback

Natural Selection 2

Post by Hunchback »

Does anyone here play NS2 ? I used to love this game, it'd be awesome to find nice people to play with, and maybe get a server running?

For those that don't know what NS2 is, it's a very unique, asymmetrical mix of FPS with RTS. Humans fight vs Aliens in a sci-fi "alienesque" setting for control over maps. Every team has a commander, who sees the game entirely in an RTS manner - a map where you can build structures and help your team with "abilities" such as scans, spawn healing items and ammo for the Marines or healing mists and damaging fogs for the Aliens, research upgrades, control robots and "simple" alien forms, etc. All the other players on each team play in FPS mode, fighting for control over the map and it's multiple resource nodes. These nodes generate resources for building, researching etc for the controlling team and are the main objective of every map.

The teams are completely asymmetrical in terms of gameplay, akin to Star Craft - Marines have different weapons and machines while aliens have different life forms in which they can evolve. Marines spawn from clones and buy equipment from "vending machines", aliens spawn from eggs and then can evolve into a new form, etc...

The game looks pretty good, even tho it's very old (HL2 engine i believe).
It's plagued by a big problem, such as every other "serious" online game tho - the experience depends almost entirely on the team. If your commander is bad you'll get steamrolled. If your players are bad, you'll struggle too. If the enemy commander is bad, the game will be boring because after a while your team will dominate so hard that your participation in anything will feel optional. Thus, it's downfall i guess.
Still, the game is STILL updated by the devs, hundred of years after it's release, so it's not dead. Just needs decent people to play with.
Jackal
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2

Re: Natural Selection 2

Post by Jackal »

I've played both NS 1 & 2, and I love them. If we could get a couple of people to play that would be nice