Weird sittuation

Ki6ania
Corporal
Corporal

Weird sittuation

Post by Ki6ania »

Hello fellow Squadders!

I have an interesting and I think tricky one for you...

A few weeks ago, during a game of Squad, I ended up being the SL, and set up a nice FOB (almost a super FOB, with 3 truckloads of supplies, mortars, TOW, 3 MG bunkers), in the center of the map, close to the 2 enemy cap zones.

Everything was going well, the Commander was hanging out with us, doing his thing there, and suddenly I see that our radio is being dug down. I went to investigate and saw that it's being dug down by my fellow SL. Upon confronting him, he said that because of our base, we are losing the cap zones because no one spawns anywhere else but our FOB. I asked him to stop, he said he wouldn't.
I asked the commander if he is aware of that, and he said no, and asked the SL to stop digging, which he ignored.

I didn't want to enter confrontation, even less wanted to intentionally friendly fire on him, so me and my squad went about our business attacking enemy positions.

In this situation, what could I have done? Report him? Kill him? He was not part of RIP, if memory serves me right.

Cheers!
UnholyMuffin
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Re: Weird sittuation

Post by UnholyMuffin »

That's a tricky one.
I can understand both sides somewhat.

Sometimes a FOB that is active but not near enough to properly play the caps can be a problem, if all other spawns get disabled/destroyed.

A lot of casual players will spawn whatever FOB is available - no matter if it is miles away from active caps. This will pretty much doom a whole round, preventing SLs to properly organise and play objectives, since their squad members are all over the place.
I've been there and I have disabled radios in the past, just to force my team to spawn at more relevant habs.

However, that SL had no right to disable your FOB, as it was being used as fire base. No matter how frustrated he was with the situation. I would consider his actions griefing, which is against our server rules.

The right way to respond to something like that in your case as a recruit would be to report it to one of our admins. They can warn the player directly, and if he doesn't react, kick him. Under no circumstances start teamkilling as it makes things worse and is against server rules too.
★SR. Recruitment Officer★
Ki6ania
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ki6ania »

Thank you, UnholyMuffin, will do that next time!
CaZ
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by CaZ »

Completely agree with Muffin, an SL that puts work in setting up a FOB usually dictates what happens to that FOB.
Another SL shouldn't come along and remove it like that. They can ask, but no way just decide to remove.

Good of you not to escalate the situation and ask on the forums
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Had similar situation like month ago. We made FOB east from current cap zone somewhat far away but close to next cap zone. We did push from east to defend our point and if we manage to do so we would have good attacking FOB location. Half way through defend 2 of other squad members did decide we are too far and they destroyed radio. I asked them why and they said we need too much time to help them. Decided to do nothing on it as i was not sure if it was against rules or just d*ck move in that moment. thanx for this question. Now i know what to do next time.
★PL Gunner's Gladiators★SRO★
Ki6ania
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ki6ania »

Wilhem, yeah, that sucks... I see if they ask, and all agree, but just starting to dig out of nowhere is frustrating at least
mti_

Post by mti_ »

I have dug down friendly FOBs before when I felt like we were about to lose those 20 tickets.
I would not personally dig down the only spawnable location, especially when the person responsible for it is still actively using it.
This time you were on the receiving end but generally speaking what you should do as someone who is frustrated with the FOBs that other people have built is to try and set up a better one. Usually blueberries work in a very predictable pattern and will chose to spawn closest.
If you are on a team where other SLs do not get good HABs up, do not have viable RPs for flanks and seem to have no control over where their squads spawn you have to focus on your own squad and then call it quits. Unfortunately the level of play is not always consistent and there is no server rule against being bad so you can ask but not enforce anything.

Quite frankly when I hear 3 logis worth of build supplies in between 2 caps you should probably ask yourself if the FOB was in a good spot and if your squad was maybe asset wasting by spending a lot of time playing Minecraft. Since the introduction of commander abilities super FOBs are not really viable any longer.
If, however, you are happy with the positioning of it and you feel like you provided a valuable spawnpoint to the team then have faith in your decision.

Someone digging your radio when you directly asked them not to is griefing in my book and I would have been satisfied to act on your request for consequences.