Squad leader - Intro to the role.

Icecold
Private
Private

Squad leader - Intro to the role.

Post by Icecold »

Hi all,

Constantly hearing people in the Discord chats asking about it so thought I'd make a thread.

People are asking how to be an SL, how to learn the role and request some sort of module / training session for this.

My question is would this be something people would be interested in? Or is this something that is not really in demand?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I would be happy to lead these if appropriate / arrange 1 on 1 sessions to go over the basics of the role and possibly something like getting the person to lead the squad and providing tips and tricks etc live in game.

I personally learnt SL when I first bought the game with < 10 hours of playtime, I watched some videos from Moidawg and the role and just dived in from there. I am by no means perfect at the role, nobody is, but if we do not share all our best tips etc with others, we cannot expect people to take up the SL role.

Any advise on either setting up the training / interest in taking part in these sessions or just any SL tips in general would be much appreciated below.
UnholyMuffin
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Re: Squad leader - Intro to the role.

Post by UnholyMuffin »

Hey! Thanks for stepping up!

I'm sure you'll find some interested members!
Just an idea, don't knwo if feasible: Could we do a regular announcment on our server a few weeks in advance, so public players could sign up on discord as well? Would maybe help to improve the game quality on the server and give otherwise hesitant pubbies an incentive to start leading.

I'm happy to give my inputs as well once you have a rough structure.
★SR. Recruitment Officer★
Icecold
Private
Private

Post by Icecold »

Hey man,

Thanks for replying to me, shows promise that atleast some are interested in this!

Events I am absolutely fine with on Discord (I don't have permissions mind you) so will probably have to pass those dates onto someone who can if I am unable to myself in future for e.g.

If yourself and any others interested in getting this structured want to discuss this further on a call for example please feel free to arrange one (I am free Mon to Fri 16:00 onwards (Bri'ish time) and no time restrictions on weekends.

Due to the size and responsibility of the SL role, I'm thinking of a "crash course" of sorts, covering the basics of building structures, radios, HABs etc. And then moving onto more active roles such as planning ahead, predicting enemy moments, communicating with your squad and fellow SL's and so on and so forth.

I will look to draft up a basic structure this weekend and reach out to some people who have already enquired about learning the SL role to get some insight about biggest concerns, what they find most challenging and how to overcome etc to include this or form a sort of Q&A
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

We had town hall meeting some time ago. There is interest for trainings for sure. But noone was willing to be trainer. Would be awesome if there is interest to teach others so we can have more training.
★PL Gunner's Gladiators★SRO★
Trib_UK
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Trib_UK »

A great idea.

I was part of the Squad Academy for a while, I did write a basic guide which is on the website, which is probably a little bit outdated in some ways now but gives a very basic outline of the mechanics of Squad Leading.

I did also write a much more in-depth course on the practicalities and tips etc of Squad Leading that I'd be happy to share with you if it helps you come up with something?
Icecold
Private
Private

Post by Icecold »

Yeah absolutely pass that stuff over please! :)
TheUKmoody
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TheUKmoody »

Wilhem wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:10 pm We had town hall meeting some time ago. There is interest for trainings for sure. But noone was willing to be trainer. Would be awesome if there is interest to teach others so we can have more training.
As I am in Squad Command - More than happy to train members on Squad Leads role.
I've got hell of a lot experience in SL (Mainly SL on every match) with Commander as well
★Recruitment Officer|Squad Command|Academy Instructor|Command Staff★
Icecold
Private
Private

Post by Icecold »

I am now in a confident position with the SL module, special thanks to Trib for all the data he has provided!

We just now need to confirm who would be delivering these (Myself and Moody have already volunteered), confirming best days and times for this, set these up on Discord events and get the ball rolling.